Thursday, December 22, 2016

A Vulnerable Savior

The timeless story of Christmas never changes:

Jesus has come.

His life and light live in us today.

And one day, He will come again!

Yet each year, as my own storyline deepens and develops, as I traverse a new bend in my life’s path, I discover another nuance of the Story - of Jesus Himself - to ponder and to praise.

This year, I am distinctly aware of my vulnerability and helplessness in dealing with the curve balls that flew our way in 2016. Those sensations can overwhelm me, tempting me to feel I’m alone (I know full well I’m not!). And so this year, I am soaking in this truth:

Jesus came to us as a baby, so very vulnerable and weak and helpless.

Like me.

Jesus might have come as a grown man, a powerful king, a wise rabbi. He might have just skipped all the childhood years (about which we hear almost nothing in Scripture) and just gotten to the meat and potatoes of his earthly ministry. But no, he was born like the rest of us: crying, shivering, helpless.

How can God be needy? Of all the paradoxes we find in God’s Word, this may be one of the most mysterious! So much so that many have thought it to be blasphemy. Other major world religions cannot comprehend a faith that has at its center a vulnerable God. A God who would be human, even as He remains God. Who would be born of an earthly mother. Who would have to learn: to sit up, to walk, to speak. A God who would grow.

Let alone a God who would die a shameful death at the hands of his enemies.

“Jesus was vulnerable when delivered bare as an infant, and he was vulnerable when laid bare by his executioners.”

Why does this matter to me? Because Jesus has gone to such lengths to identify with us! To experience humanity in every way. Even as he sits upon His throne, He has human scars, holds human memories. He knows what it means to be lonely and sad. To laugh until you cry. To be hungry. To enjoy feasting and fellowship with others. To need and to long. To have that longing satisfied. Or not.

He knows! My heart swells with gratitude for this remarkable intimacy I share with my Saviour. What fellowship we have with a God who truly understands our humanity!

I love Jesus from beginning to end, and worship him as a resurrected Savior, Friend, Redeemer, Lord, Teacher. But this Christmas, in the stillness of waiting and the hope of anticipation, I am particularly comforted and strengthened to look upon the helplessness and the vulnerability of Jesus.



Joy has dawned upon the world, promised from creation:
God's salvation now unfurled, hope for every nation.
Not with fanfares from above, not with scenes of glory.
But a humble gift of love: Jesus born of Mary.
Hands that set each star in place, shaped the earth in darkness,
Cling now to a mother's breast, vulnerable and helpless.

(Stuart Townend, Joy Has Dawned)

Hear this beautiful song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment