Monday, August 15, 2011

Two Kinds of Mountains

Ever since we moved into our hilltop home, Psalm 121:1-2 has been very special to me:

I raise my eyes up toward the mountains; where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

As I watch the changing seasons and weather through my windows, I see the mountain ranges in the distance, standing firm, unchangeable to my human eyes. And I think of the Lord, the one who made them: how He stands faithful, firm, unchanging through all time. How his mercy to me and to my family is faithful and unchanging as well. I raise my eyes to those mountains in great hope, because they are a reminder of the God who is my unfailing hope.

So when we turned to Psalm 121 in our Summer Bible study, I was looking forward to thinking more about God’s steadiness and unchanging nature. Instead, my eyes were opened to what’s really behind those precious verses:

This psalm, along with the other Psalms of Ascent were written to be sung as the Israelites made their pilgrimage to Jerusalem for the most important feasts of the Jewish year. As they raised their eyes from the dusty desert road to see the mountains that lay before them, they wouldn’t have been feeling comfort and hope, as I do when I look out my window. On the contrary, dread and hopelessness probably stopped them in their tracks, as they faced crossing those mountains in the midst of shifting seasons and weather conditions. In short, lifting their eyes to the hills probably brought spine-tingling fear, not heartfelt hope.

I imagine these weary travelers singing to God, reminding themselves of Who He is, the one who will carry them across! No obstacle — not even the mountains themselves — could stand between them and their worship of the One who created those mountains. The Psalm goes on to remind these pilgrims of God’s presence with them on the journey, through hot days and bitter nights, in the face of any danger they may meet along the path. Their God would not let them fall but would carry them through to their destination.

After studying this Psalm, I looked again at the mountains outside our window. I thought about the daunting obstacles in my own life, two mountains in recent years that appear, quite honestly, impossible to traverse. I’m confused about how to walk! I have no idea what lies on the other side. How easy it is for me to tremble at the sight of these towering peaks!

But I know the God who ordained these mountains in my life. I know that He will change me in this messy mountain-climbing process, even as I struggle and gasp and sweat. I know He goes with me each step of the way. My prayer is that He would transform these looming peaks from crushing loads that I dread, into great monuments of hope. The toughest terrain, the most discouraging obstacle, is no match for the God who walks with me, who shelters me by day and by night, who gives me strength to persevere on the path He's laid out for me.

Lord, I’m not asking you to transform those mountains into soft grassy fields. I know you have a purpose for them. But I do ask you to transform my heart as we trek this path together, that they would no longer be objects of fear, but of hope and confidence in you.

Postscript: I wrote this blog in June and never did post it. Since that time, I am overjoyed to report that, while the "mountains" in my life remain, God has cleared the confusion in the air, made the sun shine brightly to light my way, and turned my trembling fear into joyful hope in Him. As I looked back at this blog today, I realized that He has already answered this prayer. I may still be gasping and sweating as I go, but it is with full confidence that God is accomplishing His purposes with both of these "mountains." To God be the glory! My Help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, what a blessing to read this! I've been researching mission work in some of the most impossible mountain ranges in the world, and I've stood in awe of the missionaries who, in the power of God, face these daunting mountains, both the physical ones and the spiritual ones. raise God that in Him you've found that power as well!

    ReplyDelete